Extensive architectural restoration* seamlessly integrates beautifully crafted, popular amenities representative of today's lifestyle, into this stylish turn-of-the-century masterpiece! Near lakes, parks, shopping, arts + dining.
In 1906, Lawrence Donaldson, founder of Donaldson’s Department Store in Minneapolis, retained the architectural firm of Kees and Colburn to design his family’s residence on Lowry Hill along Mount Curve Avenue, an address which by that time housed many of the city’s most prominent citizens. Kees and Colburn, widely recognized as among the foremost architectural firms of the day, had already designed such landmark Minneapolis buildings as the City Hall, County Courthouse, and the Flour Exchange Building.
Constructed largely of brick and exquisitely detailed, the home's architectural style blends Renaissance Revival, Victorian, Arts & Crafts, Prairie Style and Beaux Arts. Of note are subtle design elements linked to Mr. Donaldson's Scottish heritage, most visibly the thistle used to symbolize Scotland, which can be identified as a design element on the facade, above the entry, on the chimneys, on the main level bay windows, and in the living room Tiffany window.
Primarily completed in 1907, modifications began in 1908 at which time the Donaldsons hired well-known designer John Bradstreet. The dining room was enlarged, the extraordinary Bradstreet sun parlor was created, and an additional bedroom was added to the second floor. In 1916, the Donaldsons added the four bay carriage house, complete with upper level apartment, work rooms and connecting tunnel.
In 1959, the 53-year Donaldson family residency came to an end, subsequent to which the property was subdivided into six separate lots, whose ownership changed multiple times in the ensuing years. At last, in 2000, the main residence was acquired by the current owners, who in 2001 reacquired the carriage house. Thanks to the current owners’ loving and painstaking restoration over the past decade, the home has been returned to its former grandeur, employing the highest quality craftsmen and artisans, while seamlessly blending state-of-the-art modern technology into the early 20th century decor.
THE CARRIAGE HOUSE
In the course of restoring the carriage house to its intended use and design, the beautiful original contoured terrazzo flooring with limestone trim beveled for each of the four garage carriage bays was uncovered. New carriage doors, which are in fact overhead garage doors, give the illusion of threefold doors and feature replica bronze period hardware.
Connecting the main house to the garage and carriage house living spaces is an underground tunnel that was reopened in 2001 with all new electricity and communication lines. The tunnel enters the carriage house at basement level into the fitness and exercise room. This level also features a half bath, several workspaces, and storage rooms.
The upper level carriage house apartment features refinished original hardwood floors. It offers living room with seasonal skyline views, dining room, office|second bedroom, two new baths, master with walk-in closet, and kitchen with refurbished mid-century cabinetry, silestone countertops, high-end stainless steel appliances, and laundry.
*Please see lister regarding additional publication providing more historical and restoration details.
Fireplace, Hardwood Floors, Sun Room, Billiards, Breakfast Nook, Butler's Pantry, Classic Millwork, Closet System, Comprehensive Zoned Audio System, Custom Built Ins, Designer Lighting, Dressing Room Style Master Closet, Elevated View, Formal Dining Room, Garage with Floor Drains, In-Ground Sprinkler System, Landscape Lighting, Patio, Paver Driveway, Remodeled and Updated, Screened Porch, Security System, Separate Tub & Shower, Three Season Porch, Updated Baths, Updated Master Bath, Upgraded, Wet Bar, Workshop