Moving day is exciting – a time to fill a new space and make it your own.  But with all the chaos of moving, it’s hard to keep track of all the details.  Getting utilities set up, mail forwarded and garbage services started are all important steps to getting settled into your new home.

Utilities can be set up before you move – simply call the company, let them know when you’ll be taking ownership (the closing date) and they will have service put into your name. 

Here are some local numbers to help get you started:


Xcel Energy – 1-800-895-4999  Serves most of the Twin Cities

Dakota Electric – 651-463-6212  Serves portions of Dakota, Goodhue, Scott and Rice Counties


CenterPoint Energy – 612-372-4727


Comcast – 1-800-266-2278


Quest – 1-866-642-0444


Mail Address Change:  Visit any USPS location or make changes online at,

Garbage Services:  If it is not a service provided by the City, it is best to speak with neighbors about who they use and like. Here are a couple of choices,

Aspen Waste Services   612-884-8008

Waste Management  952-890-1100

Water:  Water is billed through the city.  Contact the City Hall of your new city and you’ll be able to put your water bill in your name.


Posted by The Group on
Email Send a link to post via Email

Leave A Comment

Please note that your email address is kept private upon posting.