Our beloved pets become our friends and family, impacting nearly every aspect of our lives and the function of our households.
When putting the house we live in up For Sale on the market, there are additional considerations that warrant attention. Some potential buyers have phobias, allergies and preferences that vary one from the next. There are ways to accommodate both the showing activity as well as respecting that not all consumers share your appreciation for the feathered and furry.
The first impression is the selling moment for many buyers. When the front door swings open, is it immediately evident that there's a dog or cat in the household?
Here are some tips for minimizing and eliminating negative odors from impacting the potential sale of your property:
- Fabric holds on to odors long after the fact. Avoid drapes and rugs where not necessary. Sisal rugs are great floor covering alternatives.
- Get carpets professionally cleaned right before going live on the market (no supermarket rentals—not as deep nor thorough)
- If it won’t over heat the house on a hot day, keep premade cookie dough in the fridge for a quick pan of cookies for the showing.
- Moisture holds on to lingering odor. DampRid is an excellent solution, as is a dehumidifier.
- Wood burning fireplaces—burn a log after dinner; it's both fragrant and helps to draw odors out of the air.
- Keep a good air circulation by running the fans (ceiling and furnace); place drier sheets in vents, tucked in couch cushions.
- Relocate dog beds to an airy screen porch, tiled mudroom or garage. Even with regular washing, the fabric on dog beds retain some dogginess.
- Cat towers ought to be relocated out of public rooms with carpeting and or packed away
- Kitty litter trays cleaned daily and changed frequently; relocated out of guest and master baths to a tiled mudroom, laundry area or garage
What may be of assistance to help you along is to hire a one-time service that specializes is cleaning properties that are getting ready for the market. They don’t pack or style and their cleaning is deodorizing. If you think that you would like to have a referral to someone so that you can focus on the projects above, let us know. For more great helpful ideas, note this article,
Posted by Brandon Vasquez on